Sunday 12 April 2009

The dictionary describes poetry as, ‘the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts’.

My earliest memory of poetry is from school, we were subjected to learn parrot fashion, ‘If’ by Rudyard Kipling. Although the whole process was utterly repulsive due to the fascist nature of the teaching, you could not help, but feel the passion and undeniable quality, of possibly the best poem ever written. That experience although tainted has always made me think of poets and poetry as something to be revered.

So the third ‘first’ is to write a poem.

At an open university course, some ten years ago, I was tasked with writing a poem whilst on a personal development and team building program. I can still say this is a first though because on that occasion I cheated and copied the lyrics from my then favourite composition ‘Affirmation’ by Jones and Hayes (Savage Garden). Total rip off I didn’t even change a word. I really thought someone would recognise the words and I was ready to be shamed. It was a very strange situation as the group thought it was an excellent composition and I was duly congratulated.
I did confess in the bar later that night, here are the lyrics would you have known?

I believe the sun should never set upon an argument
I believe we place our happiness in other people's hands
I believe that junk food tastes so good because it's bad for you
I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do
I believe that beauty magazines promote low self esteem
I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality
I believe that trust is more important than monogamy
I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul
I believe that family is worth more than money or gold
I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair
I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires
I believe forgiveness is the key to your own happiness
I believe that wedded bliss negates the need to be undressed
I believe that God does not endorse TV evangelists
I believe in love surviving death into eternity
I believe in Karma what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love until you've been burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side
I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye.

Yes, its good isn’t it, did you remember it?

Ohh well this is me…

Damn, damn, damn, this is where there should be a meaningful poem but after four days of typing, cutting, pasting and finally deleting, nothing I would dare to post. Scratching the surface did not reveal masterful poetry writing of any sort. I did enjoy the research which had me reading Milton, Blake, Emerson and others. The time not wasted so all I can do is leave you with this..

Though thou loved her as thyself,
As a self of purer clay,
Tho' her parting dims the day,
Stealing grace from all alive,
Heartily know, when half-gods go,
The gods arrive.

From - Give all to Love - Ralph Emerson.

Thanx for reading, hope it makes you find a poem to love. until next week xx

No comments:

Post a Comment