Sunday 29 March 2009

Curious how ‘the first time I have done that feeling’ makes you feel younger and somewhat mischievous. I would recommend trying something new at least once a month, or if you can stand the excitement once a week. Once a week or fifty two new things a year would require a great deal of planning. Where would you start…
At the very least it requires some thought and examining of priorities and commitments. So my ‘first’ this week was starting this blog, next week - well that would be spoiling the fun if I put it here. If you could make a list of new things to do how long would it be? Would it start with something extraordinary or something simple, but still as meaningful, like a change of appearance or changing your surroundings? I don’t think ‘firsts’ need to be life changing, but the train of thought that leads you to decide what the ‘first’ should be opens the mind to new experiences if only for seconds.
Some ‘firsts’ also have to be ‘lasts’ and are definite mistakes - like the first time I chose to wear white jeans… big fashion mistake which I couldn‘t carry off, most folks who looked were wondering where the rest of the cricket team had gone. And the first time I decided to paint each wall a different vibrant colour Gaudi style in the lounge.. didn’t work as it was such a colour rush you could bring on a migraine within an hour. These errors would be best forgotten, as I remember they carry a certain amount of embarrassment, but ‘firsts’ are ‘firsts’ and therefore valid.
It is one thing to decide what your ‘first’ will be, it is quite another to put it into practice. If it is going to be a true ‘first’ it stands to reason that you might not know the rules or etiquette required or perhaps not have the equipment needed. Research is fun and most likely you will discover another ‘first‘ for future use. As for blogging I am unsure of the way you get people to read it or indeed how much one should write!
‘Keeping it real’ may have found its way to the urban dictionary but this is a perfect example of its relevance. Dreaming ‘firsts’ that are clearly impossible in your current situation may open ideas for future development but can lead to frustration. Your list has to be achievable and offer challenges to your mind and/or physical.
My own ‘firsts’ limitations are governed by the fact I would not want to bring any negative effect to any person or animal. The fact that we as a society seem to want to set targets for everything - from young children learning to read and write or too when a war should end - should we set targets for our ‘firsts’. I thought ‘first’ blog should I target ten readers? I then realised that this not the point, the objective was to complete the task. Job done.

My ‘first’ second blog should be here next Sunday, angels willing.

Please let me know what your ‘firsts’ are, on twitter at markad1

Keep training your thought and smile at a stranger it might be me xx

No comments:

Post a Comment